Co-parent with confidence by tracking children's shared expenses.

Children are happier when they get full child support

Financial help for divorced woman


1. Section 8 Housing

Divorced women who have no or very low income or are mothers with young kids and receive no child support are the ones who are at a higher risk of homelessness.  If they have been completely abandoned by an ex or are facing homelessness, they can apply for Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers at their local public housing agency (PHA) or housing and urban development (HUD) office.    Several landlords have agreements in place that allow low-income individuals to pay their rent with these vouchers.  Depending on the woman's status whether she is living alone or with kids she can decide if she would like to live in an apartment, condo, or a house.

2. Homeless Hotel / Shelter

Several cities and states have homeless hotels and shelters that a divorced woman with or without kids facing homelessness can temporarily use. They are much safer than living on the streets.  



Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) is a federal program that works through various local agencies including state, territorial and tribal to offer monthly support payments to families for a limited period. The program can specifically help divorced women with children. They also provide employment and any necessary training to become employed. It is one of the requirements to receive TANF. To apply women can go to their local welfare or social services office.


4. Food Stamps

Many divorced women with no or low income may qualify for the SNAP program also known as the food stamps program. This federally funded and locally managed program allows them to buy groceries for themselves and their kids. The SNAP amount is approved based on the number of kids and the total income and other financial resources. Women can apply for Food Stamps at the local social services or welfare office.


5. Medicaid

Medicaid comes in very handy, especially if the woman has kids and her ex doesn't have any health insurance coverage. She can qualify for Medicaid even if she doesn't have any kids and lacks resources to pay for her medical treatment. Almost all doctors, hospitals, and pharmacies accept Medicaid as an insurance option. A divorced woman can apply for Medicaid at their local social services office.


6. Child Care Vouchers

Most low-income single mothers can qualify for child care vouchers to pay for the subsidized daycare while at school or work. 


7. Charities, Non-profits, Churches, Mosques, & Temples

Several charities, non-profits, and religious establishments have programs to support low-income divorced women and their children. For example, by visiting a Sikh Gurudwara they can feed themselves and their kids for free. Similarly, a church may be handing out free clothes and groceries. Divorced women should explore all available resources in their area to benefit from them.


8. Federal Financial Aid / Scholarships

Divorced women with low income can also qualify for grants and scholarships to get a free college education.  They can also see if family and friends are willing to contribute to a 529 College Savings Plan to fund their education.  The plan will allow the family and friends to get a tax break, and divorced women can pay for their education tax-free. This will allow  A college degree in healthcare or technology can significantly increase their income. 


9. HUD Grants for Divorced Women

Divorced women who are looking to buy a home can also qualify for a HUD grant.  If you were not the primary wage earner of the family you may qualify for a Displaced Homemaker grant under the Section 529 of HUD rules.  It can allow you to purchase a home with a lower interest rate and a smaller down payment.  To  qualify you must be:

  • 18 years or older
  • Haven't worked full time for the full year for several years
  • Spent most of the time taking care of home and family without any compensation
  • You are unemployed or underemployed.  You are experiencing difficulty in obtaining or upgrading employment
  • Single moms qualify for this grant as well

In addition to the HUD grant, you may also qualify for the American Dream Downpayment Initiative (ADDI) grant through your state's first time home buyer's assistance program.  If you qualify, you can purchase a single family home with the down payment and closing costs grant.


10. Federal Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act 

Divorced women who are displaced homemakers can qualify for the free WIOA program.  Through this program you can earn certificates and degrees to become eligible for a better paying job.  You can also get skills assessment, job training, resume help, and interview coaching. The program is offered through your state's unemployment office.



Survival tips after divorce

Holiday budgeting tips for divorced women

Divorce Finance Tips

Can your soon to be ex withdraw money from a joint bank account?

Warning:  This post is neither financial, health, legal, or personal advice nor a substitute for the advice offered by a professional. These are serious matters, and the help of a professional is recommended as it can impact your future.

Thousands of co-parents around the globe have tracked and reimbursed their children's shared expenses with Cent.

Get Started Today